The Philoptochos Society, meaning, “Friends of the Poor”, is the largest Christian charitable women’s organization in the world. Founded in 1931 by then Archbishop Athenagoras; today, Philoptochos chapters are located in every Greek Orthodox parish in the United States. In 1962, our local chapter was founded.
The Philoptochos Society is the only women’s philanthropic society recognized by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
Our Goals are to aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, he widowed, the handicapped, and the victims of disasters. To undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts; and by promoting the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars, and other educational resources. We preserve and perpetuate our Orthodox Christian concepts, and through them, we promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worships, usage and customs, in unison with the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
Renie Pihiou, President
Becky Loutsion, Vice-President
Constance Voas, Recording Secretary
Laura Blanock, Corresponding Secretary
Helen Bardos, Treasurer
Click here for the 2018 Philoptochos Society Membership Form.